Paul Shambroom is an artist using found and original photographs. His documentary subjects include the U.S. nuclear arsenal, small town council meetings, and Homeland Security training sites. Since 2012 he has worked largely with sourced images on themes involving American culture, loss and memory. He has recently expanded his practice into sculpture and collaborative interdisciplinary theater/visual art projects. Paul's work has been included in Whitney Biennial and collected and exhibited by the Museum of Modern Art (New York), the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, and many others. His work has been published in three monographs: “Paul Shambroom: Picturing Power” , “Meetings” and “Face to Face with the Bomb….” He has received fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the Creative Capital Foundation among others. He was born in Teaneck, NJ and lives in Minneapolis. He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Art, University of Minnesota
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS, SOLO
- 2016 Art Museum at the University of Kentucky, Lexington. "Lost"
- 2015 Minnesota Museum of American Art, St. Paul, "Paul Shambroom: Lost"
- 2014 Perlman Museum Carleton College, Northfield, MN. “Paul Shambroom: Strategic Petroleum Reserve”
- 2013 Tang Museum, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY. “Meetings”
- 2012 Heuser Art Gallery, Bradley University, Peoria, IL, "Paul Shambroom: Power and Place"
- 2011-2012 Nash Gallery, University of Minnesota, "Paul Shambroom: Power and Place"
- 2008-2009 Weisman Art Museum- Univ. of Minnesota, Columbus Museum of Art, OH, Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, University Art Museum- California State University, Long Beach, CA,
“Picturing Power: the Photographs of Paul Shambroom”, traveling survey exhibition
- 2008 Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, "Paul Shambroom: Security".
- 2007 Kavi Gupta Gallery, Chicago, "Paul Shambroom: Security".
- 2006 Hereford Photography Festival, Hereford, England.
- 2006 Julie Saul Gallery, NY, "Security".
- 2006 Weinstein Gallery, Minneapolis, “Security”.
- 2005 Atomic Testing Museum, Las Vegas, "Face to Face with the Bomb”.
- 2005 Rocket Gallery, London, "Meetings”
- 2005 Fotographie Forum International, Frankfurt, “Meetings”.
- 2005 Howard Yezerski Gallery, Boston, “Meetings”.
- 2005 Nederlands Fotomuseum, Rotterdam, “Nuclear Weapons” (with Michael Light’s “100 Suns”).
- 2004 Hordaland Kunstsenter, Bergen, Norway, “Paul Shambroom: Meetings”
- 2004 Julie Saul Gallery, NY, "More Meetings"
- 2004 Arles Rencontres de la Photographie, France,
- 2003 Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, “Evidence of Democracy: Paul Shambroom”.
- 2003 Le Mois de la Photo à Montréal, “Paul Shambroom”.
- 2002 Julie Saul Gallery, NY, “Paul Shambroom: Meetings”.
- 2001 Franklin ArtWorks, Minneapolis, “Paul Shambroom: Meetings”.
- 1998 Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York, “Paul Shambroom”.
- 1995 Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, “Paul Shambroom: Hidden Places of Power”.
- 1995 CEPA Gallery & Medaille College, Buffalo, NY, “Face to Face with the Bomb”.
- 1991 Bockley Gallery, Minneapolis, "Childhood".
- 1990 Bockley Gallery, Minneapolis, "Workplace Interiors".
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS, GROUP
- 2017 Tweed Museum of Art, Univ. of MN, Duluth. ”A Thousand Words: Photographs from the Collection..”
- 2017 Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, WI, “Reconfigured Reality: Contemporary Photography from the Permanent Collection”
- 2017 White Bear Center for the Arts, White Bear Lake, MN “A is for Animal (from the permanent collection of the Minnesota Museum of American Art).”
- 2016 Transformer Station, Cleveland, OH. “Unfixed: The Fugitive Image”
- 2016 Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH. Selections From the Permanent Collection,
- 2016 Weisman Art Museum, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
"Silence & Echoes."
- 2015 Weisman Art Museum, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, “The Human Touch: Selections from the RBC Wealth Management Art Collection”
- 2015 Candela Books + Gallery, Richmond, VA. “UnBound4”
- 2015 Minneapolis Institute of Arts, “100+: A Photograph for Every Year of the MIA"
- 2014 Minneapolis Institute of Arts, “The Nature of Nature”, work in two sections: “Paradise Lost” and “Eat, Pray: Raptors in Nature”
- 2014 World Uranium Symposium, Quebec City, Canada, “Nuclear Photographs”
- 2014 Truman State University Gallery, Kirksville, MO. “Apocalyptic: Artwork, poetry, .. thought about the end.”
- 2014 Katherine E. Nash Gallery, University of Minnesota “thinking taking living”
- 2014 Morrison Gallery, University of Minnesota Morris, “Framing the Field: Photographic Terrain in the Collection of the Minnesota Museum of American Art”
- 2013 Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, AZ. “The Human Touch: Selections from the RBC Wealth Management Art Collection”
- 2013 St. Catherine University, St. Paul, MN. “Framing the Field: Photographic Terrain in the Collection of the Minnesota Museum of American Art”
- 2013 Minneapolis Institute of Arts. “The World at Work: Images of Labor and Industry, 1850 to Now.”
- 2013 Nash Gallery, University of Minnesota, “Regis Center for Art 10th Anniversary Faculty Exhibition”
- 2013 Weisman Art Museum, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. “Photo Nation: Photography in the United States”
- 2012 Weisman Art Museum, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. “Tenuous, Though Real”
- 2012 The West Collection at SEI, Oaks, PA. “America Rules!”
- 2012 “Atomic Photographers Guild- Behind the Atom Curtain; Life and Death in the Nuclear Age”:
Museum of Modern Art, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
Foto Freo Festival, Midland, Australia.
- 2011-2012 Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, WI, "E Pluribus Unum"
- 2011 Minneapolis Institute of Arts, "Wide-Eyed: Panoramic Photographs"
- 2011 Julie Saul Gallery, New York, "25 years/25 Artists"
- 2011 Form+Content Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, "No Glory (10 Years + Counting)"
- 2011 "Atomic Photographers Guild- Behind the Atom Curtin, Life and Death in the Nuclear Age":
Mednick Gallery, University of the Arts, Philadelphia
Sala Terrena, Vienna, Austria
- 2011 Brush Art Gallery, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY, "Re-framing Terrorism"
- 2011 Hendershot Gallery, New York, "Keep Out You Thieving Bastards"
- 2011 Beijing La Celeste Art Center, China, "Contemporary American Imaging"
- 2011 Religare Arts Initiative, New Delhi, India, "American Psyche"
- 2010-2011 San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, "The More Things Change"
- 2010 Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Santiago, “100 Years of American Art: A Social Perspective
- 2010 Lyon Septembre de la Photographie, IUFM Confluences, Lyon, France, "US Today…"
- 2010 Sun Valley Center for the Arts, Ketchum, ID, “I Spy: Surveillance and Security”
- 2010 Fotofest Biennial, Houston, TX, "Road to Nowhere"
- 2009-2012 Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN, "Event Horizon"
- 2009 College of Visual Arts, St. Paul, MN, “The Minnesota Eye: Contemporary Photography”
- 2009 Noorderlicht Photofestival, Groningen, NL, “War Machines”
- 2008-2009 Haus der Kunst, Munich; Graphic Design Museum, Breda, NL; Jeu de Paume, Paris, "Parrworld"
- 2008 Invisible Exports, New York, "It's Not Over Yet"
- 2008 Westport Arts Center, Connecticut, "Optimism"
- 2008 North Dakota Museum of Art, "Remembering Dakota"
- 2008-2009 Intl. Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum, Geneva; Gernika Peace Museum,“The Nuclear Dilemma”
- 2007-2008 San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, "Picturing Modernity: The Photography Collection"
- 2007 Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, "Loaded Landscapes".
- 2007 North Carolina Museum of Art, "the BIG Picture"
- 2007 Univ. Art Gallery, San Diego State Univ., “John Q. Public and Citizen Jane…”.
- 2007 Nash gallery, Univ. of Minnesota, “Critical Translations”.
- 2006 Dorsky Gallery, Long Island City, “The Office/In and Out of the Box”.
- 2006 Contemporary Arts Center Cincinnati, “Bunch Alliance and Dissolve".
- 2006 Madison Museum of Contemporary Art (WI), “MMoCA Collects”.
- 2005 MASS MoCA, North Adams, MA, "Regarding the Rural”.
- 2005 North Carolina Museum of Art, “In Focus: Contemporary Photography,Thomas Collection”.
- 2005 Weinstein Gallery, Minneapolis, “Rite of Assembly”.
- 2004 Center for Photography at Woodstock, “Shifting the Political: Portraits of Power”.
- 2004 Art Institute of Chicago, “About Face: Photographic Portraits from the Collection”.
- 2004 Milwaukee Art Museum, “Artists Interogate: Politics and War”.
- 2004 Whitney Museum of American Art, NY, "Inside Out: Portrait Photographs from the .. Collection".
- 2003 Whitney Museum of American Art, NY, “Pictures from Within: American Photographs, 19582003”.
- 2003 Ronald Feldman Gallery, New York, “American Dream”.
- 2003-2004 Univ. Art Museum UC Santa Barbara, Univ. Galleries Illinois State Univ., Peeler Art Center Depauw Univ., Schick Gallery Skidmore College, Newcomb Art Gallery Tulane Univ.
“Social Strategies: Redifining Social Realism” curated by Klaus Ottman and Pamela Auchincloss.
- 2002-2004 Ludwig Museum, Budapest, City Gallery of Praque, Riffe Gallery Columbus OH, SPACES Cleveland OH, Minnesota Center for Photography, Erie Art Museum OH
“The View from Here: Recent Pictures from Central Europe and the American Midwest”,
- 2001 Madison Art Center, WI, “ExtraOrdinary: American Place in Recent Photography”.
- 2001-2005 Walker Art Center, Miami Art Museum, Delaware Art Museum, Univ. of Iowa Museum of Art, Winnepeg Art Gallery, Plains Art Museum Fargo
“American Tableaux: Selections from the Collectin of the Walker Art Center”.
- 2001-2002 Toronto Photographers Workshop (and various), “The Atomic Photographers Guild…”.
- 1999 Florida Int.l Univ. Art Museum, Miami, “Photography from the Martin Z. Margulies Collection”.
- 1999 Lombard Freid Gallery, New York, “Persuasion”.
- 1997 Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, “Whitney Biennial”,.
- 1997 Fotouhi Cramer Gallery, New York, “Summer of Love”.
- 1996 San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, “Crossing the Frontier: . the Developing West..”.
- 1996 Minneapolis Institute of Arts, “Truth and Trials: Color Photography Since 1975”.
- 1995 Portland Art Museum, OR, “In the Shadow of the Cloud”.
- 1994 pARTS Gallery, Minneapolis, “Local Color: Recent Photographic Works”.
- 1993 Museum of Modern Art, New York, "Recent Acquisitions in Photography".
(back to top)
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- George Eastman House, Rochester, NY
- Ford Foundation, New York
- LaSalle Bank, Chicago
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Milwaukee Art Museum
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Progressive Corp, Cleveland, OH
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Howard Stein/Joy of Giving Something Foundation, New York
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN
- West Collection at SEI, Philadelphia
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York
(back to top)
GRANTS, FELLOWSHIPS, HONORS
- Imagine Fund Award, University of Minnesota, 2017
- The Ground Floor at Berkeley Repertory Theater, Summer Residency Lab, with collaborators Mallory Catlett, Jim Findlay, and Aaron Landsman, for project Squares, 2016
- Imagine Fund Award, University of Minnesota, 2016
- Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry and Scholarship, University of Minnesota, 2015
- 10X10 American Photobooks, “Meetings” book included in collection of 100 best American artists’ photobooks from the last 25 years. Catalog by Bookdummypress. 2013
- Prix Pictet, The Global Award in Photography and Sustainability. 5 nominations, 2012
- Bush Foundation, St. Paul, MN, Enduring Vision Award, 2010
- McKnight Foundation, Minneapolis, MN, Photography Fellowship, 2009, 2001, 1995, 1989, 1985.
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design, Alumni Achievment Award, 2008
- Penny McCall Foundation Award, 2003
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 2003.
- Bush Foundation, St. Paul, MN, Artist Fellowship, 2002, 1992.
- Creative Capital Foundation Grant, 2001.
- Jerome Foundation, St. Paul, MN, Travel and Study Grant, 1999, 1996
- Minnesota State Arts Board, Artist Assistance Fellowship, 2000, 1993, 1988.
- American Photographer Magazine, nominee for "New Faces" award, 1989.
- Jerome Foundation, St. Paul, MN, Visual Arts Fellowship, 1987.
(back to top)
- Paul Shambroom: Picturing Power, 160 pages, 47 color plates, essays by Dick Hebdige, Diane Mullin, Helena Reckitt, Christopher Scoates, publ. Weisman Art Museum, distributed by D.A.P, 2008.
- Meetings, photographs by Paul Shambroom, 128 pages, 40 color plates, Chris Boot Publishing, London, 2004.
- Face to Face With the Bomb: Nuclear Reality After the Cold War, photographs by Paul Shambroom, 144 pages, 83 color plates, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2003. introduction by Rhodes, Richaard, prologue and text by Shambroom, Paul.
BOOKS, COLLECTIONS, CATALOGS, FILMS
Nuclear Requiem. Full-length documentary film about nuclear weapons. Photographs featured. Directed by Robert Frye. Whistling Communications, New York. 2016
Camera Atomica, London, Toronto: Black Dog Publishing/Art Gallery of Ontario, 2015. Ed: Joh O’Brian
Atomic amnesia: photographs and nuclear memory, Global Change, Peace & Security (formerly Pacifica Review: Peace, Security & Global Chang), Published online July 1, 2015. Jessie Boylan
The Incomplete Illusion: Photographing the Training Ground, University of California Press - Society of Architectural Historians, Vol. 72, No. 3 (September 2013), pp. 292-300. Ruth Dusseault
Public Relations: Dan Holdsworth / Martin Parr / Sarah Pickering / Paul Shambroom. Safle - Public Art Wales & St Davids2. Cardiff, Wales, 2012. Curated and edited by Russell Roberts & Emma Price.
Prix Pictet 04- Power, Kempen, Germany, teNeues Verlag, 2012
The Art Life: On Creativity and Career, Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, 2012. Stuart Horodner, Stacie Linder, eds.
- In My Lifetime, interview and photographs in a full length documentary film about nuclear weapons, directed by Robert Frye, The Nuclear World Project, 2011
- A New American Photographic Dream: US Today After, Silvana Editoriale, Milan, Dist: DAP, 2011, Ed: Gilles Vernerte
- “2010 Bush Foundation Enduring Vision Award recipient- Paul Shambroom” video (7 min. 28 sec.) interviews with Paul Shambroom and Liz Armstrong, Director of Prgrams and Visual Art, The Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Directed by Theresa Konechne. The Bush Foundation, St. Paul, MN
- A Foreigner Carrying in the Crook of His Arm a Tiny Bomb, Duke Univ. Press, Baltimore, 2010, Kumar, Amitava
- The Digital Eye: Photographic Art in the Electronic Age, Prestel Verlag, Munich, 2010, Wolf, Sylvia
- Photography After Frank: Essays by Philip Gefter, Aperture, NY, 2009, Gefter, Philip.
- The Photobook: A History - Volume II, Phaidon Press, London, 2006, Ed: Parr, Martin, & Badger, Gerry, Essay by Badger, Gerry.
- Vitamin Ph: New Perspectives in Photography, Phaidon Press, London, 2006, essay by Thompson, Nato
- So Now Then: Contemporary Documentary Photography, Hereford Photography Festival, UK, 2006.
- Paul Shambroom: Evicence of Democracy, Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, exhibition brochure, 2003, essay by Irvine, Karen, Associate Curator.
- Paul Shambroom: Hidden Places of Power, Walker Art Center, exhibition brochure, 1995, essays by Fogle, Douglas and Armstrong, Elizabeth, exhibition co-curators.
REVIEWS, OTHER PRESS, INTERVIEWS
- Heiferman, Marvin. “Paul Shambroom: Security.” Science: Photography, Science and Visual Culture, Nov. 15, 2016.http://seeingscience.umbc.edu/2016/11/paul-Paul Shambroom-security/
- Walker, David. “Mark Peterson on Paul Shambroom and Perseverance.” Photodistrict News 6, no.10 (Oct. 2016):
- “Selfie with oily water and deer print.” Neighborhood Climate Change, Northern Spark , Aug. 9, 2016..
- Boylan, Jessie. “Atomic Amnesia: Photographs and Nuclear Memory.” Global Change, Peace & Security 28, no. 1 (2016): 55-73.
- Cultural Geographies Vol. 23, No. 1, Jan. 2016, pg. 159-168. “Hazardous Material Photography: An Interview with Paul Shambroom, Seantel Anaïs (Univ. of Winnipeg) and William Walters (Carleton Univ.)
- Star Tribune, “’Lost’ Documents Some of Paul Shambroom’s Photo Finds”, Aug. 20, 2015, Mary Abbe.
- MNArtists.org “The Story of a Century Told in 100 Photos”, Laura Sivert, Sept. 4, 2015
- MIA Stories, Minneapolis Institute of Arts blog“Carrion on: Paul Shambroom brings back the dead for “The Nature of Nature” interview by Marla Kinney, Sept. 5, 2014
- Walker Art Center Magazine“Visualizing American Power: Mitch Epstein and Paul Shambroom in Conversation”, Oct. 16, 2013
- The Baffler “Safe Styles: Today’s Outfits for Tomorrow’s Threats”, No. 23, 2013.
- Greenpeace Magazine (Hamburg, Germany), “Ausser Kontrolle” (“Out of Control”), Nov-Dec, 2013
- Times Union (Albany), “On Exhibit: Three Shows at the Tang”, March 3, 2012, Amy Griffin
- Magnum Photo “Get Closer: 100 Photographers Respond to Robert Capa” (Day 67) Dec. 27, 2013
- Wired.com RawFile blog "In Digital Age, Sourcing Images Is as Legitimate as Making Them", Feb. 6, 2012, Pete Brook
- Star Tribune, “Hidden in Plain Sight: Minneapolis photographer Paul Shambroom meditates on American power”, Jan. 12, 2012, Abbe, Mary
- Le Journal de la Photographie (online), Weekend Portfolio, “Meetings”, Oct. 7, 2012
- Quodlibetica, “A Place By Any Other Name….”, Feb 1, 2012, Mason Riddle
- Blind Spot Issue #44, "Paul Shambroom: Public Weapons in America", Dec., 2011
- Breakthrough Radio, Art Uncovered with Thomas Seely, interview (audio, approx. 25 mins.) , Dec. 14, 2011
- Star Tribune, “Art Review: The McKnight Eight”, June 24, 2011, Mary Abbe
- Star Tribune, “Their Enduring Vision Earned Them $100,000”, June 14, 2010, Mary Abbe. 1
- Photo District News "Visions of the Decade: The Decade of Blurred Boundaries", Jan, 2010, Risch, Conor
- Star Tribune (Minneapolis) "Harsh Horizon: Walker Art Center’s .. Collection...", Dec. 3, 2009, Abbe, Mary.
- ArtForum, "Reviews: Paul Shambroom, University Art Museum at California State University, Long Beach", Summer 2009, Bryan-Wilson, Julia.
- Los Angeles Times, "Revealing the banality of worldwide domination", March 6, 2009, Mizota, Sharon.
- Art Papers, "Paul Shambroom: Picturing Power". Jan.-Feb. 2009, Feaster, Felicia.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "Pictures capture extremes of power", Nov. 1, 2008, Fox, Catherine.
- L'Insensé Photo (Paris), "USA: American Contemporary Photographers", September 2008.
- WNYC, the Brian Lehrer Show, "Meeting Adversity", April 8, 2008.
- Mnartists.org, "This Modern World: Paul Shambroom: Picturing Power". April 1, 2008, Riddle, Mason.
- MinnPost.com, "Photographer Shambroom brings "power" to the people", Feb. 8, 2008, Priesmeyer, Molly.
- The Rake (Minneapolis), "Paul Shambroom: Picturing Power", Feb, 2008, Caniglia, Julie.
- Star Tribune (Minneapolis) "Deadpan Democracy", Feb. 8, 2008, Abbe, Mary.
- Chicago Tribune, “Art Reviews: Shambroom at Kavi Gupta" Nov. 16, 2007, Artner, Alan.
- Daylight Magazine #6, “The Atomic Issue”, Fall 2007
- Time Out Chicago, "Location, location, location: MoCP’s eerie landscapes", Sept. 20, 2007, Weinberg, Lauren.
- Modern Art Notes, Tyler Green's blog, "Acquisition: Shambroom at Walker", May 23, 2007
ArtNews, "Weinstein: Paul Shambroom", Jan. 2007, Abbe, Mary.
- Conscientious (blog: http://jmcolberg.com), A Conversation with Paul Shambroom, Dec 6, 2006, Colberg, Joerg
- Photoworks (Brighton, UK), Paul Shambroom: Security, Autumn/Winter 2006/7, Burbridge, Benedict.
- PopPhoto.com, Paul Shambroom Explores Psyche of "Security" (interview, audio), Sept. 24, 2006, DeFoore, Jay,
- Minnesota Public Radio, Picturing security (interview, audio), Combs, Marianne , September 21, 2006
- Star Tribune, (Minneapolis), Landscape of Terror, Paul Shambroom: Security, Sept. 15, 2006 Abbe, Mary.
- The Rake (Minneapolis), Straight Talk: Paul Shambroom (interview), Sept. 2006, Zeller, Brad
- Magazin, Frankfurter Rundschau, Retter in der Not: Fokus auf Paul; Shambroom, Sept. 9, 2006, Geyer, S.
- Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, The Faces of Security: A Portfolio by Paul Shambroom, Sept.- Oct., 2006.
- New York Times, That Chemical Fire Matches Your Hazmat, April 16, 2006, Gefter, Philip.
- Village Voice, Donad Rumsfelds War Machine, April 7, 2006, Saltz, Jerry.
- Art on Paper,Paul Shambroom: Meetings at Yezerski .., March/April, 2005, Kozlow Miller, Francine.
- Photography Quarterly, Book Review- Meetings, PQ #91, 2005, Glynn, Liz.
- Image (Finland), Paul Shambroom, March 2005, Lisalo, Meri.
- Art News, Reality Bytes, Feb. 2005, Woodward, Richard.
- Wallpaper, Design Awards: Best Books, Jan.-Feb. 2005.
- British Journal of Photography, Small Town Democracy, Jan. 12, 2005, Smyth, Diane.
- Genis Aci otograf Sanati Dergisi, Instanbul, Fotografik Ayrimlar Jan. 2005, Madenci, Su.
- Creative Review, (London), Democracy in Action, Nov. 2004, Doyle, Stephen.
- Photo District News, In Print: Meetings, Nov. 2004, Lehan, Joanna.
- Art Papers, Studio Visit: Shambroom, How Does Democracy Look?, Nov.-Dec. 2004, Fallon, Michael.
- Tank Magazine, (London), Lets Meet: Photography by Paul Shambroom, vol. 3 issue 11, 2004.
- Foto8 (London), "Meetings" (review), Nov. 2004, Wright, Sophie.
- Das Magazin, (Zurich), Mein Amerika, Nov. 5, 2004, Haffner, Peter.
- De Republica Delle Donne, Milan,Le Altre Facce Della Democrazia Americana, Nov. 27, 2004, Gefter, p.
- Suddeutch Zeitung Magazine, (Hamburg), Die Qual Nach der Wahl, No. 44 2004, Waechter, Johannes.
- De Volkskrant, (Amsterdam), Democratie in Amerika, Oct. 29, 2004, Depondt, Paul.
- The New York Times, "The Tableau Inside Your Town Hall", Oct. 21, 2004, Gefter, Philip.
- Star Tribune, (Minneapolis), The Tedium is the Message, Oct. 17, 2004, Lorentzen, Ellen.
- Minnesota Public Radio, State of the Arts: Paul Shambroom (interview, audio), Combs, Marianne , Oct. 15, 2004.
- WNYC, the Brian Lehrer Show, The Big Get Together: Paul Shambroom (interview, audio), Oct. 12, 2004.
- Afterimage, Editorial, Sept.-Oct. 2004, Chalifour, Bruno.
- British Journal of Photography, Rencontres dArles: Above Parr, Aug. 2004.
- Lay of the Land: Center for Land Use Interpretationr, Book Reviews: Face to Face.., Summer 2004, v.27.
- Afterimage, "Paul Shambroom, Interview", May/June 2004, Hirsch, Robert.
- The Progressive, Nuclear Alert (book review), March 2004, Rothchild, Mathew.
- Chicago Reader, Paul Shambroom: Evidence of Democracy, Nov. 28, 2003, Camper, Fred.
- Minnesota Public Radio, Evidence of democracy (interview, audio), Nov. 7, 2003, Combs, Marianne .
- Chicago Tribune, Shambrooms Bleak View of U.S., Nov. 6, 2003, Artner, Alan.
- Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Not your Typical Snapshots: Face to Face.. Nov.- Dec. 2003, Maroncelli, James & Karpin, Timothy.
- Photo District News, In the Shadow of the Mushroom Cloud, Oct. 2003, Ringwald, Christopher.
- WAMU, the Kojo Nnamdi Show, America's Nuclear Weapons: Paul Shambroom (interview, audio), Sept. 9, 2003.
- ArtReview, Democratic vistas, October 2003, Mullin, Diane.
- Los Angeles Times Book Review, We live so others may die, Aug. 3, 2003, Del Tredici, Robert.
- New York Times Book Review, Books in Brief: At Home with the Bombs, Sept. 7, 2003, Bruckner, D.J.R.
- Boston Globe, Americas open nuclear secrets, June 22, 2003, Sante, Luc.
- New York Times, Pictures Worth 10,000 Words, at Least Feb. 2, 2003, Woodward, Richard
- DoubleTake, Meetings, spring, 2003.
- Art in America, Paul Shambroom at Julie Saul, Jan. 2003, Ostrower, Jessica.
- Art on Paper, Paul Shambroom: Meetings. Julie Saul Gallery, Dec. 2002, Woodward, Richard B.
- ArtForum, Paul Shambroom at Julie Saul, November, 2002, Kantor, Jordan.
- Time Out New York, Art Review: Paul Shambroom, Meetings, October 3-10, 2002, Chasin, Noah..
- The New Yorker, Talk of the Town: Photography: Paul Shambroom, September 23, 2002.
- AfterImage, Specters of the Ordinary. March/April 2002, Grabner, Michelle.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, Docudramas- Tom Arndt , Paul Shambroom.., Oct. 5, 2001, Hanson, Doug.
- ARTNews, Persuasion, Lombard Freid, October 1999, Pollack, Barbara.
- Art On Paper, Rethinking Genres in Contemporary Photography, Jan.-Feb. 1999, Mantegna, Gianfranco
- Art in America, Paul Shambroom at Tanya Bonakdar, Sept. 1998, Mariño, Melanie.
- Art Forum, Paul Shambroom, Tanya Bonakdar, summer 1998, Decter, Joshua.
- ART/TEXT, Paul Shambroom at Tanya Bonakdar, May-July 1998, Hayt, Elizabeth.
- New York Times Magazine, Overkill is Not Dead, March 15, 1998, Hill, Brian.
- Harpers Magazine, Paul Shambroom: Nuclear Weapons series, p. 17, March, 1998
- New York Times, Art in Reviw: Paul Shambroom, Bonakdar Gallery, Jan. 9, 1998, Smith, Roberta.
- Time Out New York, Critics Picks: Paul Shambroom at Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, Dec. 17-25, 1997.
- Art in America, Turtle Derby (Whitney Biennial), June, 1997, Adams, Brooke.
- ARTNews, Whitney Biennial, May 1997, MacAdam, Barbara..
- Time Out New York, Showtime at the Whitney, April 3-10, 1997, Saltz, Jerry.
- Baltimore Sun, Biennial Serves Its Purpose, April 6, 1997, Dorsey, John.
- Village Voice, Photo Finish (Whitney Biennial), April 1, 1997, Aletti, Vince.
- Internet ArtResources, Straight Takes from the Biennial, March 1997, Chambers, Karen
- San Francisco Bay Guardian, Whitneys Samlper, May 14, 1997, Helfand, Glen.
- Review, In Focus: The 1997 Whitney Biennial, April 1997, Nahas, Dominique.
- Associated Press, Whitney Biennial..., March 30, 1997, Richards, Meg.
- Whitney Museum of American Art, 1997 Biennial Exhibition (catalog), Phillips, Lisa; Neri, Louise.
- The Buffalo News, War Stories, Dec. 8, 1995, Huntington, Richard.
- The Oregonian (Portland), Atoms and Industry, Dec. 3, 1995, Gragg, Randy.
- Harpers Magazine, Paul Shambroom: Hidden Places of Power, p. 26, November, 1995
- The Progressive (Madison, WI), Shooting Missiles, Aug. 1995, Shambroom, Paul.
- Twin Cities Reader, Nothing Succeeds Like Access, Aug. 8, 1995, Grebe, Margeret.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, Shooting Missiles", July 31, 1995, Abbe, Mary.
- Museum of Modern Art, New York, "Interiors" weekly appointment calendar, 1992.
- Artpaper, "Paul Shambroom at Bockley Gallery", March, 1990, Silberman, Rob.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, "..Photos by state artists", Jan. 26, 1990, Abbe, Mary.
- American Photographer, "New Faces 1989", Feb. 1989.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, "Looking at art", Oct. 18, 1981, Addington, Fran.
- Twin Cities Reader, "Portraits show Hennepin's humanity", Dec. 12, 1979, Souder, William.
(back to top)
- Born Teaneck, NJ, USA
- Degree: Minneapolis College of Art & Design, concentration in photography, BFA
- Attended: Macalester College, St. Paul, MN, liberal arts
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Department of Art, Associate Professor, 2011-present
- Self-Employed, Artist-photographer, present
- Minneapolis College of Art & Design, Visiting Artist, Media Arts, 1997-2000
- Minnesota Center for Photography, Board of Directors, 1996-1997.
- Grant panel member, (various dates.): State Arts Boards- Minnesota, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania; Jerome Foundation, Creative Capital Foundation
GUEST LECTURES, PANELS (selected recent):
University of Kentucky, Lexington, R.C. May Photography Lecture: “Paul Shambroom: Lost” 2016
Minnesota Museum of American Art, artist lecture: “Lost” 2015
Princeton University, NJ. Dialog with theater artist Aaron Landsman on collaborative project; lecture to photography students 2015
Keene State College, Keene, NH, Dialog with theater artist Aaron Landsman on “City Council Meeting” 2014
Society for Photographic Education Midwest Annual Conference, Madison, WI, Presentation: “Going Down the Sourcing Rabbit Hole: My Transition from Made to Sourced Images” 2014
College Art Association Annual Conference, Chicago. Panel Chair (Oliver Wasow, co-chair): “Regarding the Photographs of Others: The Promise and Problem of Sourced Images”. Panelists: Natasha Egan, Joel Lederer, David Smucker, Penelope Umbrico. 2014
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN, gallery talk on exhibition Richard Misrach: Petrochemical Americ 2014
- Artists on the Verge, Minneapolis, presentation and discussion with grantees 2014
College Art Association Annual Conference, New York. Panel member: “Military and the Landscape 2013
Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY. “Meetings” lecture and discussion 2013
Carleton College, Northfield, MN. Class visit and lecture, “Science, Technology, and Public Policy” 2013
Carleton University, Ottawa, CA. Workshop: “Security and Its Publics”, Panel: “Mediating Issues of Security”, presentation: “The Artist as Canary: Probing the Security State” 2012
- Bradley University, Peoria, IL, Bunn Photography Lecture 2012
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis "Wednesdays In Process" lecture, 2012
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, panel discussion, “McKnight Photography Fellows” 2011
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, “From Here to There: Alec Soth’s America” gallery talk, 2010
- Soc. for Photographic Education, Midwest Reg. Conf., Minneapolis, “The Imaged World” lecture, 2009
- Georgia State University, Atlanta, 2008
- Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
- East Michigan University, Ypsilanti, 2008
- MIT, Cambridge, MA, "Security and Human Behavior" Workshop, 2008.
- Columbia College, Chicago, 2007, 2003
- San Diego State Univ, 2007
- Art Chicago, panel "Heated Debate: Artists in the Current Political Climate", 2007
- Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, 2007
- University of Ohio, Akron, 2006
- Westminster University, London, 2006
- University of Wales, Newport, 2008, 2006.
- Hereford, England, “So Now Then: Contemporary Documentary Photography”, conference, lecture and panel with Shelby Lee Adams, Simon Norfolk, Weng Peijun, David Campany, 2006.
- Bard College, Annandale, NY, 2006
- International Center for Photography, New York, Photographers Lecture Series, 2005.
- City Univ. of NY, “Lifting the Shadow…Writers and Artists on Life and Creativity in the Nuclear Age”, panel with Kurt Vonnegut, Amy Goodman, and Eve Ensler, 2005.
- Tulane University, New Orleans, 2004.
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2004.
- Minneapolis College of Art & Design, Winter Commencement address, 2003.
- Harvard University, 2003.
- Duke Univ. Dept. of Art History, 2001.
- Center. For Docementary Studies a,t Duke Univ., 2001.
- Univ. of Minnesota, Dept. of Art, 2001.
- Hamline Univ. (St. Paul, MN), 2001
- Milwaukee Insitute. Of Art & Design, 2001
- Lawrence University, Appleton, WI, 2001
- Minneapolis College of Art & Design “Appearances” Photo Lecture Series, 2001.
- College Art Association conference speaker, “Art in the Nuclear Age....”, New York, 2000
back to top)
(abbr., rev. 08/2017)